Lamb Shank with Pears and AlmondsSee all
- 4 lamb shanks
- 4 fresh Bartlett pears, cut into quarters
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated ginger
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- ¾ cup skinned almonds
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter
- Salt and pepper
- A few basil leaves
- Cognac, to taste (optional)
- In a pressure cooker, melt the butter and brown the lamb shanks on each side.
- Add the onions, ginger and saffron. Brown the onions.
- Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of honey and salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste. Mix well.
- Pour in 3 cups (750 ml) of water, bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour over low heat, stirring frequently. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking, add the almonds.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium heat, add the pears and stir.
- Add 1 tsp (5 ml) of honey. Simmer the syrup until the pears are slightly softened. Deglaze and flambé with cognac (optional).
- Arrange the lamb shanks on the center of the plates, with the pears as a side dish. Garnish with basil leaves. Serve warm.