Moroccan Style Lamb ShankSee all
- 4 Quebec lamb shanks (environ 1 lb (400 g) each)
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 398 ml tomato sauce with coriander or Italian
- 3 t. beef or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp of coriander
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flake
- ½ tsp of ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 325 °.
- Chop the onions and garlic. Reserve.
- In an enameled cast iron casserole dish, heat the oil. Season the shanks with salt and pepper and sauté over high heat until browned (about 10 min).
- Reserve the shanks and brown the onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add the spices and sauté 1 min more.
- Remove from the heat to replace the shanks and coat them well with the spices.
- Add the tomato sauce and broth, return to the heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for about 3 hours, basting occasionally, until the meat almost falls off the bone.
- Serve on wheat semolina (couscous)