Lamb Shoulder with 40 Garlic ClovesSee all
- 1 kg (2 lbs) Quebec lamb shoulder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 40 whole garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) red wine
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C). Rub the lamb with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In an oven-safe dish, cover the bottom with the garlic and onions and place the lamb over top. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 320 F (160 C). Mix the wine and tomato sauce and pour into the dish. Add the rosemary and bay leaves. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 3.5 to 4 hours.
- Once tender, remove the lamb and keep it warm.
- In a sauce pan, bring the cooking liquid to a boil with the butter. Reduce by half, stirring constantly.